Friday, September 10, 2010

The Questions: Explain why these are of interest to you. What specific concepts and terms were involved – in other words, what are the legal issues?

The odds are high that in this field of work, you will be asked sooner or later to sign a nondisclosure agreement, so it is almost imperative to know what to expect from one. “A nondisclosure agreement is a legally binding contract in which a person or business promises to treat specific information as a trade secret and not to disclose the information to others without proper authorization.” PC&T pg. 513, Stim, 9th Ed.

It would also be beneficial to know what the copyright process is since I will be creating original designs and also who would retain those rights if I am working for a company other than my own. “Under the Copyright Act of 1976 (applicable to all works first published on or after January 1, 1978), a copyright consists of a bundle of rights held by the author or developer of an original work of authorship.” PC&T pg. 217, Stim, 9th Ed.

Copyright law protects expressions of creative ideas such as songs, artwork, writing, films, software, architecture, and video games.
Trademark law protects marketing signifiers such as the name of a product or service or the symbols, logos, shapes, designs, sounds, or smells used to identify it.
Trade secret law commonly protect confidential designs, devices, processes, compositions, techniques, formulas, information, or recipes.” PC&T pg. 6, Stim, 9th Ed.
All of the above will apply to the work I am looking to do in the future, whether for myself or another company. I feel it would be better to be prepared as much as possible so that I don’t get caught up in a job that if fired or laid off, would prevent me from continuing in my field or that would not let me use my designs if they did not benefit the company in any way. It is better to be informed than to be disillusioned in my chosen profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment