Friday, September 10, 2010

Legal Authority: How I made contact, found this person and why they are a good choice.

The attorney I chose was John Mowbray. The reason I chose him was because my husband and I have done business with him before, although not concerning the topics we covered in class. I was convinced he would be a good choice because when asked to find attorneys to contact in class, his name also came up under a search for business law attorneys.
Mr. Mowbray is a friend as well as an attorney so I thought this would make the conversation easier in terms of being relaxed and trusting enough to talk with me. He did not hesitate at all when I first phoned him and told him I was doing a school project and could he take the time to answer some questions for me. I really had no clue until I did the search that his specialty was business law, since the matter he had previously helped us with was the adoption of one of our children. He did tell us at the time that adoption was not his specific branch of law that he practiced but he was trying to help us out as a friend.
Our class subject is closer to his type of practice, which is business law that covers intellectual property. “Intellectual property refers to products of the human intellect that have commercial value and that receive legal protection. Typically, intellectual property encompasses creative works, products, processes, imagery, inventions and services and is protected by patent, copyright, trademark, or trade secret law.” PC&T, pg.2, Stim, 9th Ed.
As a graphic designer, I can reasonably assume that I will have to encounter at some time in my career a legal question or problem concerning either an idea or concept that I create. As a business owner already, it has come up once or twice when clients bring graphics that we know are either copied, or “taken” from a source that is well known.

No comments:

Post a Comment